Papers of Huey Long Contemporary Now Available

March 3rd, 2010 by Tara Laver

An exhibition featuring items in the recently opened Harvey G. Fields Papers is now on display in the Reading Room at Hill Memorial Library. Fields was a colleague and avid supporter of Huey Long.

Flyer for The American Progress, a weekly newspaper sponsored by Huey P. Long, ca. 1934.

Harvey Goodwyn Fields was born in Marksville in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana, in 1883. A graduate of Tulane Law School, he served in the Louisiana Senate from 1916-1920, as District Attorney for Union Parish (1922-1925), Chairman of the Louisiana State Democratic Central Committee (1926-1929), a member of the Louisiana Public Service Commission (1928-1936), and United States Attorney for the Western District of Louisiana (1937-1941). He was also a law partner of Long for a short time in Shreveport, Louisiana.

His papers consist of correspondence addressing political issues in Louisiana, the State Democratic Central Committee, Franklin Roosevelt and some New Deal programs, and Huey Long. Political files consist of speeches, minutes of Democratic Executive Committee meetings, a number of political circular letters, and notes dealing with local election returns. Newspaper clippings, magazine articles, and printed volumes are included which deal with Louisiana politics and political figures, and a number of political fliers concern Louisiana politicians, including Huey Long. For additional information, see the collection finding aid.

Mr. Fields’ grandson, Thomas L. Fields of Farmerville, La., donated the papers last year. He has written a book based on the collection, I Called Him Grand Dad: The Lost Political Papers of Harvey G. Fields.

-Submitted by Caroline Richard and Tara Laver.

3 Responses to “Papers of Huey Long Contemporary Now Available”

1. Congratulations and thank you for putting these historic papers out for the public to view. I was fortunate to review the book by Thomas, it is a fantastic look into early 20th century politics and the shaping of the Democratic Party and America itself. I did not agree with a lot of viewpoints but as a historian I can certainly appreciate the historical significance that these paper bring to our past and our future. I just wanted to say good job.

2. Tim says:

“minutes of Democratic Executive Committee meetings”

Wow. I always wondered what it would be like to be a fly on the wall during those meeting back then.

This is the next best thing!

Nice job.

3. John Darrin says:

Hi my name is John Darrin. I am a student at SUNY Oneonta in New York. I am writing a research paper on Huey Long for my Senior Seminar class and I was wondering how I could obtain primary documents on Huey Long. I have written an substantial paper on Long using secondary sources last semester and needed assistance on finding primary sources. Any assistance you could provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you.